Corporate & Social Responsibility - Overview
CSR underpins every part of our business from the first stages of planning and being awarded a licence through to exploration, development and production from a field. It encompasses our management of relationships with shareholders, stakeholders, employees, contractors and communities in areas where we work, together with our impact on society and the environment.
We undertake CSR related initiatives across our asset portfolio where we are actively working.
Establishing a Legacy
Our investments in the communities around our Ugandan licences have been significant, but it is the legacy that we leave there that will ultimately have the greatest impact on the lives of Ugandans locally and nationally.
Our presence and investment in Uganda have played a large part in uncovering vast oil resources which will, on development, generate revenues that will contribute significantly to the development of the domestic economy.
A Blueprint for our Future Activities
Our experiences in Uganda have enabled us to develop our CSR strategy, policies and performance. Our aim is to apply the knowledge base and skill set we acquired in Uganda to ensure that we contribute significantly and responsibly to the parts of the world where we operate. We wish to secure a sustainable future for the communities where we are based and to conduct our business responsibly and transparently in partnership with them.
Key Elements of our CSR Policies
- we strive to meet the challenges presented by climate change;
- safety is a natural priority and a core element of all of our activities;
- we strive to protect the physical health of all of our employees and contractors whilst they are in the workplace;
- we support human rights consistent with the stipulations contained within the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- we strive to ensure that our relationships with our neighbours and local communities are conducted sensitively and with mutual respect;
- we ensure that we receive the widest possible support for our proposals, throughout the life cycle of our activities;
- we strive to contribute positively to global sustainability;
- we are opposed to bribery and corruption in whatever forms they may take;
- we always aim to compete vigorously with our competitors, but in a fair and ethical way;
- we ensure that all of our suppliers are treated fairly and responsibly;
- we strive to construct, maintain and further develop world-class safety systems across all of our operations; and
- we comply fully with all relevant national and international laws and act in accordance with local guidelines and regulations.